Pitches for PKU: 1st Annual Wiffleball Tournament
- When: Saturday, September 8, 2018
- Where: Sutcliffe Park, Conshohocken, PA
- Family friendly – All skill levels welcomed
- Sign-in Begins: 9:00 AM
- First Pitch: 10:00 AM
- Team Entry Fee: $150 (USD)
- Entry Fee Includes: Team entrants are guaranteed to play 4 games minimum during the day’s competition. Top teams will then advance to a single elimination bracketed tournament. Each team member will also receive an event t-shirt. There will be snacks, sandwiches, water & soda as concessions provided by our friends at Southern Cross Kitchen with a portion of the proceeds being donated to NPKUA. We’re excited to also be offering door prizes as well as fantastic raffle prizes of all shapes and sizes!
- Rain Date: Saturday, September 15th (Teams will be notified by 8am on September 8th if tournament is postponed for rain. No thunder, no lighting? No Flooding? Grab a poncho and Play On!)
- No base running. Imaginary runners on base advance as hitter does.
- Teams have at least 2 and no more than 5 players on their roster.
- Teams field 3 players or less on defense, but may have up to 5 batters.
- All fielders must bat.
- Fielders can position as they wish in fair territory without obstructing batter.
- Each game is 4 innings long.
- If the game is tied after 4 innings, the 5th begins with the bases loaded.
- Game is official after 3 innings, with a 10 run mercy rule after 3 innings.
- The rules of MLB shall apply to all situations not covered in these rules.
BALLS AND STRIKES – MAKING CALLS
- A walk is 5 balls. Base-runners advance on a walk if forced over.
- ANY combination of 3 fouls or strikes is an out.
- A swing and a miss is not an out, unless it’s strike 3.
- A pitch hitting the strike zone is a strike.
- A pitched ball that hits the batter is a ball, although the batter MUST attempt to avoid being hit. (no leaning)
- Line calls are made by the fielder closest to the play.
- Pitcher makes check swing calls.
- Only the official (baseball size) plastic wiffle ball with 8 elongated holes will be used.
- Balls may not be scuffed or sanded. BALLS MAY NOT BE SCUFFED OR SANDED. ANY TEAM SCUFFING OR SANDING BALLS WILL BE IMMEDIATELY DISQUALIFIED.
- No ball with a crack greater than 1/4″ may be used.
- All balls are subject to approval by Tourney Staff
- Only official WIFFLE yellow plastic bats may be used.
- Handles may be taped, but barrel must be unaltered.
- Any bat is subject to approval of tourney staff.
- All players must play bare handed. Batters may use a glove when batting.
- Pitchers can pitch every other inning. A pitcher can be relieved in an inning by a player who did not pitch the previous inning.
- Pitching speed is Medium (45 mph) or less, enforced by a Tourney staff member with calibrated eyes)
- Penalty – Player may not pitch any more in that game plus the next game.
- A team that feels a pitcher is exceeding the speed limit may request a Tourney staff member with really good eyes to evaluate and check speed.
THE FIELD OF PLAY(all dimensions approximate)
- Pitching mound is 42′ from strike zone. Singles line is at 42′. Doubles line is at 65′. Home run line is 90′ to foul cones. 52′ between cones.
- Strike Zone is 20″ by 30″ approximately 12″off the ground.
- Any hit ball not reaching the singles line is considered a strike.
- Ground ball outside of foul lines when reaching singles line.
- Fly ball landing in foul ground, touched in foul ground, or going wide of foul poles.
- Any ball reaching the singles line in fair ground
- Ground ball not fielded cleanly in front of singles line. Balls may be bobbled but can not hit the ground once they are touched.
- Fair fly ball touched but not caught in front of singles line.
- Fair ball reaching the doubles line in the air, but not the fence.
- Any ball that is slapped back into play to prevent a home-run.
- Fair Ball landing over the line. Fielders are able to jump out and swat a home-run ball back in fair territory (resulting in a triple or an out if caught by another fielder) but they may not catch a home-run ball and land over the home-run line.
- Only in effect with runner on base. Fly ball caught and then IMMEDIATELY thrown to hit strike zone in the air.
- When a Captain protests a game, the other team’s Captain must be notified at the time the play under protest occurs and before the next pitch is made. Decisions of tourney staff are final.
- Will not be tolerated. Penalties include but are not limited to: ejection from the game, forfeit of the game, or ejection from the tournament.